Welcome to Phoenicia University’s policies website. To search for or browse university policies and procedures, use the options on the toolbar.
This website provides a central location for policies effective currently that have been approved by Phoenicia University Management. This site is intended to function as a convenient point of reference for all members of the university community.
The official versions of Phoenicia University policies are contained on this website and are updated continuously as changes are approved by PU Management.
- As Phoenicia University, we encourage the adoption of sustainable practices in many areas: green building, clean energy, transportation, climate protection, sustainable operations, waste reduction and recycling, environmentally preferable purchasing, sustainable foodservice and sustainable water systems.
- This policy applies to staff, students, contractors and visitors at Phoenicia University sites and teaching, research and work areas where the University has operational control and movement to, from and between them.
- Staff, students, contractors and visitors must adopt all applicable undertakings of this policy to ensure sustainability is embedded in Phoenicia University’s teaching, research, engagement and operational activities across all PU.
- Managers and supervisors have overall responsibility for sustainability and are accountable for the sustainable performance and the effective implementation of sustainable systems in their work areas and work activities.
- Staff and students have a responsibility to follow sustainable processes and procedures in their work areas and across Phoenicia University as a whole where they exist.
- Phoenicia University and its senior management are committed to ensuring a sustainable future. The University will continually improve the sustainability of its business and activities and integrate sustainability in teaching and research outcomes.
- Sustainability will be pursued through a proactive sustainable management philosophy, based on executive commitment, continual assessment and effective communication. All procedures and actions will be determined in more detail by PU Management.
- Phoenicia University acknowledges the importance of protecting environmental values as part of the global community. Through its planning and practice, PU is committed to ensuring the protection of the environment by minimizing potential environmental harm in a sustainable, economically and satisfying manner.
- Staff, students, contractors and visitors must meet their responsibilities under this policy.
- Statement of Environmental Policy
- Solicitation by persons other than employees or students of Phoenicia University on official University business is prohibited in those areas of the University which are not open to the public. It is prohibited if the solicitation results in unreasonable disruption of or material interference with the University's educational or administrative activities
- Solicitation by PU employees for non-University sponsored activities on PU’s property during working time is prohibited regardless of whether the solicitation occurs in the work area or not. Working time is the time an employee is expected to be engaged in the official duties of the position.
- It is the responsibility of management within administrative and academic areas to apply the solicitation and policy consistently to all.
- The purpose of this policy is to avoid favoritism, the appearance of or potential for favoritism, and conflicts of interest. Nepotism is inconsistent with Phoenicia University’s longstanding policy of making employment and other business decisions based only on Phoenicia University needs and individual qualifications, skills, and performance.
- No University staff employee may make, participate in, or attempt to influence employment or other business decisions or cause others to do so.
Smoking / Non Smoking
- In order to have a healthy workplace for employees, students, and visitors, Phoenicia University will maintain an environment that is reasonably free from tobacco smoke.
- Phoenicia University will establish smoking regulations to help protect the health of employees, students, and visitors.
- Smoking is prohibited in all indoor locations; it is allowed in designated exterior smoking areas. Such areas must be approved by PU Management.
- Adequate signs will be visible at entrances and inside of buildings and elevators to inform the public of applicable smoking regulations.
Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace
- As a condition of continued employment, employees must be drug-free in the workplace.
- Phoenicia University identifies alcohol and drug abuse as potential health, safety, and security problems. The University expects all employees to assist in maintaining a work environment free from the possessions of alcohol, drugs or other intoxicating substances. Compliance with this substance abuse policy is made a condition of employment.
Policy Statement on Harassment & Discrimination
- Harassment, whether verbal, physical, or visual, is a form of discrimination forbidden by law. Phoenicia University prohibits harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin and accent, personal appearance, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, source of income or other factors prohibited by the Lebanese Law. Harassment is verbal or physical conduct that shows aggression to an individual.
- In fact, this act may include, but is not limited to: verbal abuse or ridicule, including insults, epithets, and stereotyping; offensive jokes and comments; threatening, or hostile acts, and displaying or distributing offensive materials, writings, graffiti, or pictures.
- Harassment may include conduct carried out through the internet, email, social media, or other electronic means.
- Discrimination is defined as conduct directed at a specific individual or a group of identifiable individuals that subjects them to treatment that badly affects their employment or education because of their race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Phoenicia University does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or decisions on the basis of personal characteristics which are not appropriate to an individual's abilities, qualifications, or job performance. Phoenicia University is committed to maintaining an environment that encourages proper conduct among all persons and respect for individual values.
- Accordingly, the University is committed to enforcing the Non-Discrimination policy at all levels in order to create an environment free from discrimination especially those based on race, gender, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, or on any other legally prohibited basis. Such discrimination violates University policy and will not be tolerated.
Accommodation for Disabilities
- Phoenicia University is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals including individuals with disabilities. The University prohibits discrimination against a qualified person with a disability in employment practices such as the job application process, hiring, promotion, termination, compensation, and other conditions of employment.
- In fact, to ensure that an employee can perform his/her job responsibilities, a reasonable accommodation by Phoenicia University may include the purchase of special equipment, changing the physical layout of the workplace, restructuring job responsibilities and duties, and modifying the work schedule.
- Phoenicia University is committed to providing a supportive environment for all faculty, staff, and students with disabilities. Phoenicia University works to provide all individuals with disabilities with a learning and community environment that affords them full participation, equal access, and reasonable accommodation of their disabilities.
- Even though the employee provides input concerning the accommodation process, Phoenicia University will determine what constitutes a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
- For some cases, disability information is treated as confidential and will be shared with Phoenicia University administrators only on a need to know basis.
*This document is a preliminary draft of Phoenicia University policies.
*Phoenicia University policies are developed, reviewed and modified on an ongoing basis; all policies are approved by PU Management as the only authority that has the right to change, update, add or delete any policy.